(Page 2 of 2)
Sports & Leisure
The Municipal Bowling Green in Lowerhouse was opened by Councillor Dr. Clegg on 31st May 1914, although the shelter may have been completed later but by the end of the year. Dr Clegg expressed the opinion that bowling should be prescribed for lumbago.
This was the sixth municipal bowling green to be opened with another still to come, and some of the building still remains as part of the club house. The grounds and buildings of the bowling club were also on ocassion, maintained and given the odd facelift by ex-offenders as part of their accommodation regime.
Bowls became one of the principal activities of Lowerhouse, and the club were proud of their team which under the captaincy of Mr Harry Cook, won the district league ten times. Mr W. Shackleton holds the record of being a member of the team on seven of those occasions.